Applying for a New Liquor License or Permit
Welcome to the Kansas Alcoholic Beverage Control Licensing page!
When applying for or renewing liquor licenses or permits, you will be in contact with either the Licensing or Marketing Unit. If you are required to collect, file and pay liquor drink or liquor enforcement taxes, you will also be in contact with the Customer Relations Miscellaneous Tax Segment.
When you apply for a new liquor license or renew your existing license, it will be for a two year license term.
You will have the option to either:
- pay the license fee and the registration fee in full or
- pay half of the license fee plus the registration fee with your application and pay the remaining half of the license fee plus a 10 percent surcharge within one year from the date your license was issued. Note: If you do not pay your remaining license fee and the 10 percent surcharge when it is due, your license will automatically be cancelled.
Kansas is a license state that utilizes the three-tier system (suppliers or manufacturers sell alcoholic liquor and/or cereal malt beverages to distributors who sell to off-premise retailers who sell to on-premise licensees) and issues 17 different liquor licenses and five different permits. To view the definitions, click on the link below.
- Definitions of Liquor Licenses and Permits (Rev. 07/12)
- Definitions of Alcoholic Liquor and Cereal Malt Beverage (Rev. 04/11)
- Liquor Licensee Information Brochure (ABC-899)(Rev. 08/12)
The Licensing Unit issues the following licences:
- Class A Club
- Class B Club
- Drinking Establishment
- Drinking Establishment/Caterer
- Hotel Drinking Establishment
- Public Venue
- Special Order Shipping
Submit your executed application packet and supporting documentation as instructed. K.S.A. 41-319 allows the ABC 30 days to process license applications. The time limit begins once all required documentation is received.
Once the license has been approved, your license or temporary permit will be mailed to you and your license number and company information will be posted to the ABC Active Liquor Licensee database. To view your information, go to: https://www.kdor.org/abc/licensee/
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the Licensing Unit at 785-296-7015 (press option #2) or send an email to: email@example.com
The Marketing Unit processes brand registration and label approval requests; gallonage tax returns filed and paid by individuals bringing their alcoholic liquor into Kansas; and, issues the following licenses and permits:
- Distributor License
- Farm Winery and Farm Winery Outlet Licenses
- Manufacturer License
- Microbrewery and Microbrewery Packaging and Warehousing Facility Licenses
- Microdistillery and Microdistillery Packaging and Warehousing Facility Licenses
- Non-Beverage User Licensee and Permit
- Packaging and Warehousing Facility Permit
- Supplier Permit
- Temporary Permit
Submit your executed application packet and supporting documentation as instructed. K.S.A. 41-319 allows the ABC 20 days to process farm winery, microbrewery and non-beverage user license applications and 30 days for all other licenses and permits. The time limit begins once all required documentation is received.
Once the license or supplier permit has been approved, your license or permit (except supplier permits) will be mailed to you. Your license or supplier permit number and company information will be posted to the ABC Active Liquor Licensee database. To view your information, go to: https://www.kdor.org/abc/licensee/.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the Marketing Unit at 785-296-7015 (press option #1) or send an email to: ABC.Marketing.Unit@kdor.ks.gov.
Miscellaneous Tax Segment
The Customer Relations Miscellaneous Tax Segment within the Division of Taxation issues liquor enforcement and liquor drink tax certificates, manages liquor tax accounts and liquor tax bonds.
We offer electronic filing and payment options for liquor enforcement and liquor drink taxes using our web application available at www.webtax.org. See the Liquor Drink and Liquor Enforcement Tax Web File Introduction and the Liquor Drink and Liquor Enforcement Tax Web File Quick Reference Guide for additional information.
If you are unable to electronically file and pay your liquor taxes at this time, please use the appropriate Liquor Tax Form below:
If you have questions or need assistance, you may contact the Customer Relations Miscellaneous Tax Segment at 785-368-8222 (select option #5 for all other taxes then select option #4 for liquor, cigarette or bingo) or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org