Kansas Antique Plates
A personalized antique plate is also available for antique autos, motorcycles and trucks. Up to 7 letters, numbers and/or spaces are allowed for autos and trucks. Up to 5 letters, numbers and/or spaces are allowed for motorcycles.
Antique plates have a life time registration. This means you will pay the registration fees at the time of application and there will be no annual registration renewal for this vehicle as long as the original owner(s) own the vehicle. Personal property taxes are still due each year.
- The plate on top is a sample of the currently issued antique plate for autos and trucks (white background with blue lettering).
- The plate in the middle is a sample of the currently issued antique plate for motorcycles (white background with blue lettering).
- The plate on the bottom is a sample of the previously issued antique plate with personalized format (blue background with yellow lettering). These antique plates are still valid if displayed on the vehicle to which they were originally issued to. Kansas no longer issues the blue and yellow plates.
To qualify you must:
- Be a Kansas resident or a member of the military who is not a Kansas resident and is stationed at a Kansas military base or office.
- Vehicle (auto, truck or motorcycle) must be at least 35 model years old or older, and not be altered or modified from the original manufacturer’s model, except for safety components. (Vehicles which are 35 years old and have been made into street rods and/or hot rods are no longer antique vehicles).
- Vehicle must be titled in Kansas on an antique title in the name of the applicant for antique registration.
Steps to obtain the plate:
- Application must be made in your local county treasurer’s motor vehicle office;
- If a personalized antique plate is going to be applied for, complete the Personalized Plate Application, form TR-715pr. The form is available at: http://ksrevenue.org/pdf/tr715pr.pdf;
- Antique personalized plate combinations deemed by the Director of Vehicles to have a profane, vulgar, lewd or indecent meaning or connotation shall not be allowed
- Proof of valid insurance must be present at the time of application.
Fee for antique plate:
- Standard antique registration/license plate fee is a one-time $40 fee. Antique license plates do not need to be renewed (property taxes will still be due annually).
- If a personalized antique plate is requested, there will be an $45.50 charge in addition to the $40 registration fee.
Related Kansas Statute(s)