Renewing, Extending or Replacing your Driver's License Out of State

To process anything through the mail you must have a current driver's license photo in our database. You must also be a Kansas resident and a United States citizen or provide lawful presence documents along with application.

Active duty military members and their dependents stationed outside of Kansas, missionaries and college students may obtain a replacement of their Kansas driver's license, obtain a six month extension on their Kansas driver's license, or renew their Kansas driver's license through the mail.

Non-military persons out of the state or out of the country may obtain a replacement of their valid Kansas driver's license or obtain a six month extension on their expiring Kansas driver's license, but only if they are a Kansas resident and United States citizen or are a legal immigrant with permanent resident status.

Click here for the fillable form DEMI-1. Print the form, fill it out and send it in with the appropriate documents and fees - Please note - With the exception of those applying for a six month extension, everyone pays the photo fee. If you are renewing your driver's license you are not required to pay the exam fee.

Your new driver's license will be returned to the address you provide. If you have additional questions please call 785-296-3963, or email us at

Back to the main Motor Vehicles page