Frequently Asked Questions About Employee Qualifications

If I get a DUI, can I still work at a drinking establishment or club?
Yes, as long as it is not a felony DUI conviction. However, individuals employed as servers, bartenders or managers cannot have more than two convictions for alcohol related offenses (including DUIs) or more than one conviction of “furnishing to a minor” offense within the last five years.

Will a felony conviction prevent me from obtaining a liquor license or being employed by a liquor licensee?
Yes, owners or employees who serve, mix or dispense alcohol cannot have a felony conviction of any type. Subsection (b) of K.S.A 41-2610.

Is there a time limit on felony convictions?
No, a felony must be expunged to work as an employee who serves, mixes and dispenses alcohol or manages employees who handle alcohol.

What is the minimum age limit to serve alcoholic liquor in a drinking establishment, Class A Club or Class B Club?
The minimum age is 18 years old. Subsection (a) and (f) of K.S.A 41-2610 and subsection (b) (1) and B (3) of K.A.R. 14-19-24 .

What is the minimum age limit to mix, dispense and/or bartend?
An employee must be 21 years old. Subsection of K.S.A 41-2610 and Subsection (b)(2) of K.A.R. 14-15-24.

What is the minimum age limit to bus tables, work in a kitchen or perform janitorial duties?
There is not any minimum age limit under Kansas law.

What is the minimum age to ring up alcohol or CMB sales?
For a retail liquor store licensee, all employees must be at least 21 years old. For businesses selling CMB for off-premise consumption only, an employee must be at least 18 years old to conduct the sale.

If I get a DUI, can I still work in a liquor store?
Yes, unless it was a felony conviction. A felony prohibits anyone from working in a retail liquor store.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions