Frequently Asked Questions About Licensing


How much does a liquor license cost?
Refer to the Liquor License or Permit Types and Fees chart.

How can I get a liquor license or permit?
An applicant must apply for a license and met the statutory requirements. You may apply online at or print the application packet from the ABC website.

Do I need to fill out all the documents in the application packet?

How do I get a tax clearance?
Apply online at:

How long will it take to get a liquor license?
Once all application documents are submitted to ABC, the statute allows 30 days to issue or deny a license except that applications for a manufacturer, distributor or non-beverage user’s license allows 20 days.

How will I get my new liquor license?
When a license application is approved, in most cases an ABC enforcement agent will hand deliver in-state licenses and will provide education at the time of delivery. Out-of-state licenses are mailed. Permits are sent to the applicant via email.

Does the spouse, who does not have any ownership, of the process agent need to be listed on the application packet?

Do I have to be a US citizen to have a retailer’s license?

Can a corporation hold a retailer’s license?

Are there residency requirements for a trust to hold a liquor license?
Yes. The grantor, beneficiary and trustee must meet all requirements with the exception that the beneficiary does not have to be 21 years of age.

If I am applying for a drinking establishment and own a building made up of three floors and I only want to license two floors. Is this permissible?
Yes, this is permissible except for hotel/motel premises. A diagram of the licensed premises and proof of ownership or leasehold such as a deed or signed lease must be submitted to the ABC.

How much will my bond for a new license application be?
The Director of Taxation sets the bond for on premise licensees' accounts. The minimum bond for on premise licensees is $1,000. You may post an escrow, surety or cash bond.

An escrow or surety bond in the following bond amounts are required for the license types below:

  • Manufacturers--$15,000;
  • Spirits Distributor--$15,000 or an amount equal to the highest monthly liability for any of the 12 months immediately prior to renewal;
  • Beer or Wine Distributor--$5,000 or an amount equal to the highest monthly liability for any of the 12 months immediately prior to renewal;
  • Retailer, Microbrewery and Farm Winery--$2,000;
  • Special Order Shipping - $750 (out-of-state applicants only)
  • Nonbeverage users--$200 for Class 1, $500 for Class 2, $1,000 for Class 3, $5,000 for Class 4, $10,000 for Class 5.

What is the exact role of a process agent?
The role of a process agent is to accept service of process on behalf of a licensee.

Can a process agent sign the applicant oath or other paperwork?
Yes. If a process agent is an owner, the process agent may sign on behalf of the licensee on ABC forms provided the process agent provides sufficient documentation of a legal power of attorney to the ABC.

Can a process agent refuse to give their social security number?

Is a liquor license transferable to another person?

Can I own more than one club?
Yes; however, following requirements apply:

  • If two Class B Clubs are owned, the licensee must meet a 50 percent food requirement.
  • If a Class B Club and a drinking establishment with a 30 percent food requirement are owned, the licensee must meet a 50 percent food requirement for the Class B Club and a 30 percent food requirement for the drinking establishment.
  • If a Class B Club and a drinking establishment without a food requirement are owned, the licensee must meet a 50 percent food requirement for the Class B Club only.
  • If a drinking establishment with a 30 percent food requirement is owned, the licensee must meet a 30 percent food requirement.
  • If a drinking establishment without a food requirement is owned, the licensee does not have any food requirements to meet.

When I sell my drinking establishment, can the new owners operate on my license until their license is approved?

Is a drinking establishment/caterer required to have 30 percent of its sales in food for both licenses together or separate?
Separate. Refer to K.A.R. 14-22-8.

Can caterers cater in counties other than where they are licensed?
Yes, so long as the county where they are catering is a wet county.

May an officer in a Class A Club have a beneficial interest in a Class B Club or drinking establishment?
No. Refer to K.A.R. 14-19-16(a)

Can a husband own a retail liquor store and his wife own a drinking establishment or Class B Club?

Can a retail liquor store owner also own a CMB establishment?

What does the state require as far as having a party shop with a retail liquor store?
No inside entrance or opening which connects directly with any other place of business. A diagram must be submitted for approval.

When can a retailer start selling to clubs after applying for a wholesale permit?
Retailers must first apply for a Basic Permit to wholesale with the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB). After the retailer receives their Basic Permit from the TTB they must notify the ABC to obtain their “Wholesale Liquor Dealer under Federal Law” sign. Retailers must maintain a copy of their Basic Permit on the licensed premise. Retailers who sell to clubs must complete and file a Monthly Report of On Premise Sales (ABC-73).

Can a retailer also be a distributor?

Can a retailer fly out of the country and bring wines directly to his store to sell?
No. A retailer must purchase alcohol through a licensed Kansas distributor.

Can a retailer sell the small bottles of liquor that are made of chocolate?

Where are temporary permits allowed?
Temporary permits are allowed only in wet counties with the following requirements:

  • The permit holder must meet the local zoning.
  • The location cannot be on the licensed premise of another licensee.
  • The location must be one where liquor can be legally consumed.
  • The permit holder must have control over property; and,
  • special event permits requiring a street, sidewalk, road or alley closure must have an ordinance or resolution for the specific event; and,
  • the Kansas State Fair as authorized by the fair board.

We are having a party and serving alcohol, do we need a liquor license?
No, if you have invited guests and are not selling the alcohol or charging admission.


Does the ABC ever refund the $25 state cereal malt beverage stamp fee?

Does the ABC refund the $25 state cereal malt beverage stamp fee if the licensee cancels the license prior to beginning business?

How old do you have to be to work in a convenience store or grocery store that sells 3.2 beer?
Employees of CMB licensees selling CMB for off-premise consumption only must be at least 18 years old.

How old do you have to be to work in a 3.2 bar?
Generally, an employee must be at least 21 to sell or dispense CMB. However, if the licensee is also a licensed food establishment (as defined by K.S.A. 36-501) and derives at least 50% of its gross sales receipts from the sale of food, employees can sell or dispense CMB if they are at least 18 years of age.

Can a cereal malt beverage inventory be transferred to a new city license?
That would be the discretion of the city or county. If the city or county would ask for the opinion of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Division, our answer would be "Yes" with documented inventory. This is the same requirement we have of our licensees.

NOTE: Contact your city or county, or city or county attorney for interpretation of the local ordinance or resolution addressing this subject. It you have a complaint, contact your local law enforcement agency such as your police or sheriff’s department.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions