Frequently Asked Questions About Business Registration

How do I register?
Businesses can register for most taxes through Kansas Department of Revenue Customer Service Center. This service also provides online registration with the Secretary of State for corporations to do business in Kansas or to register with the Kansas Department of Human Resources for unemployment taxes.

Another option is to complete the Business Tax Application (CR-16). The application must be properly completed and signed. Fax the application to 785-291-3614 or by mail at:
Kansas Department of Revenue
915 SW Harrison St.
Topeka, KS 66625-9000

Is there a fee to register my business for Kansas tax?
There is no business tax registration fee. However, if you require a cigarette retailer's license a $25 fee must be submitted with the application. The Cigarette Vending Machine Permit fee is $25 per machine.

What changes in my business do I need to report to the Kansas Department of Revenue?

  • Name change
  • Change to mailing or physical location address
  • Change in ownership
  • Corporate officer change
  • Change in business activity
  • Additional locations
  • Business closure

What changes in my business would require me to re-register?
Change in ownership type such as sole proprietor to a partnership, LLC or corporation, or change in Federal Identification Number require re-registration.

How do I notify you of additional business locations?
Complete Registration Schedule for Additional Business Locations (CR-17). For your convenience you may also contact the department by phone or fax.

We require the following information for each additional location:

  • Beginning date for new location
  • Business activity type
  • DBA name
  • Physical business location which must be a street address, no PO boxes
  • For Kansas locations identify whether the location is inside or outside of the city limits

Do I need multiple sales tax accounts if I run different business types out of one location?
No. Multiple locations can be registered under one sales tax number as long as they are all operating under the same business entity and federal identification number. You must provide the location address information for each one and indicate if it is inside or outside the city limits.

What information on the CR-16 is required in order to receive my tax identification number?
You are required to answer each question in Parts 2, 3, 4 & 12. Parts 5 through 11 are required if applicable to your type of business activity.