Rural Opportunity Zone Credit
INCOME TAXPAYER-Effective for all taxable years commencing after Dec. 31, 2011 and before Jan. 1, 2017.
A taxpayer must meet the following qualifications to be eligible for the credit:
- Establish domicile in a rural opportunity zone on or after July 1, 2011 and prior to Jan. 1, 2016.
- Must have been domiciled outside Kansas for five or more years immediately prior to establishing their domicile in a Kansas rural opportunity zone.
- Must have had no more than $10,000 in Kansas source income in any one year for five or more years immediately prior to establishing their domicile in a Kansas rural opportunity zone;
- Must have been domiciled in a Kansas rural opportunity zone during the entire taxable year for which the credit will be claimed;
- The tax return on which the credit is claimed must be timely filed (including an extension of time); and
- The taxpayer may not be delinquent in filing any tax return with or paying any tax due to the state of Kansas or any political subdivision.
The credit is 100 percent of the taxpayer's Kansas tax liability.
Limitation of Credit
The credit is limited to the amount of the taxpayer's Kansas tax liability.
Procedures to Claim the Credit
This credit is available only through electronic filing.
Rural Opportunity Zone Credit Definitions
Domicile is defined in K.A.R. 92-12-4a (see our Policy Information Library for more information).
Kansas Rural Opportunity Zone
The following are eligible counties for tax years 2012 through 2016:
Barber, Chautauqua, Cheyenne, Clark, Cloud, Comanche, Decatur, Edwards, Elk, Gove, Graham, Greeley, Greenwood, Hamilton, Harper, Hodgeman, Jewell, Kearny, Kingman, Kiowa, Lane, Lincoln, Logan, Marion, Mitchell, Morton, Ness, Norton, Osborne, Pawnee, Phillips. Pratt, Rawlins, Republic, Rooks, Rush, Russell, Scott, Sheridan, Sherman, Smith, Stafford, Stanton, Trego, Thomas, Wallace, Washington, Wichita, Wilson or Woodson counties.
The following additional counties were added for tax years 2013 through 2016:
Allen, Anderson, Bourbon, Brown, Chase, Clay, Coffey, Doniphan, Ellsworth, Grant, Gray, Haskell, Jackson, Linn, Marshall, Meade, Morris, Nemaha, Neosho, Ottawa, Rice, Stevens, or Wabaunsee counties.