Ignition Interlock Vendor Oversite Program
The mission of the Division of Vehicles - Driver Solutions is to enhance public safety through reducing subsequent drinking and driving behavior by administrating and regulating impaired driving breath alcohol and blood testing programs in the state of Kansas.
Purpose Of The Interlock Device
Driver Solutions regulates the ignition interlock device industry within Kansas. An ignition interlock device is a mechanism that prevents a vehicle from starting when the breath alcohol concentration in a breath alcohol test meets or exceeds the startup set point. The ignition interlock device is used extensively as a part of licensing actions administered by the Kansas Division of Vehicles. Additionally, the ignition interlock device is used by many courts and probation officers who utilize the ignition interlock device as a program condition or condition of probation for individuals charged or convicted of alcohol related offenses. The Kansas Statutes Annotated (K.S.A.) 8-1001 through 8-1025 and Kansas Administrative Regulations (K.A.R.) 92-56-1 through 92-56-9 govern ignition interlock device activity.
The following information is offered to help people make an informed decision when selecting an ignition interlock device to install in their vehicle.
Ignition Interlock Devices
Driver Solutions certifies ignition interlock devices every three years and publishes a list of ignition interlock manufacturers approved in Kansas. A link to each manufacturer website and the toll free phone number to call for installation information is included in this list. The approved ignition interlock providers listed appear in a random order and rotate every month.
Installation and Removal Verification
Upon completion of the installation or removal of a device, the ignition interlock technician who installs or removes the device and the participant shall complete a Kansas Ignition Interlock Installation/Removal Verification Form. This completed form shall be submitted to Driver Solutions by the service provider and a copy will be provided to the participant for their records.
Driver Solutions approves and physically inspects ignition interlock service centers on an annual basis. A license is issued to each service center. Complete the IIDA-1 Service Center Application. Should you question whether a service center is properly licensed, you may ask to see the license or contact Driver Solutions for license verification. The ignition interlock device lease and service agreement may include fees for installation, monthly service, and removal of the device. Other fees may be assessed by the service center for rescheduling, violation resets, permanent lockouts, etc. You are encouraged to contact the manufacturers to inquire about types and costs of fees. You can look up city, judicial district and county names on this spreadsheet.
Driver Solutions certifies ignition interlock technicians on an annual basis. A license is issued to each technician. No person may perform any service related to any device without being duly licensed by Driver Solutions. Kansas state law specifically prohibits any person from making an overt or conscious attempt to physically disable, disconnect or circumvent an ignition interlock device, unless certified pursuant to Kansas rules and regulations or statutes. Should you question whether a technician is properly licensed, you may ask to see the license or contact Driver Solutions for license verification. You may also contact Driver Solutions regarding the professionalism of the technician and service provider.
Once approved by IIVOP, the technician will receive a course number to take an online knowledge and skills examination through the TRAIN program. The test must be complete with a score and 80% or higher. Regulations are located at: https://www.kcc.ks.gov/images/PDFs/statutes-regulations/2016_KAR_Supplement_Book_2.pdf
The applicant shall:
- Complete the IIDA-2 Ignition Interlock Technician Application
- Once approved by IIVOP, the technician will receive a course number to take an online knowledge and skills examination through the TRAIN program. The test must be complete with a score and 80% or higher.
- Applicant will proceed to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation for a criminal background check.
- Each approved applicant will receive a certificate with a license number.
- Each applicant for licensure shall be for a single ignition interlock technician.
Enforcement and Complaint Procedures
Upon completion of the installation of a device, the ignition interlock technician who installs the device and the participant shall complete a Kansas Ignition Interlock Installation/Removal Verification Form. This completed form shall be submitted to Driver Solutions by the service provider and a copy will be provided to the participant for their records.
To file a complaint, please answer all applicable questions on the Complaint Form and be as specific as possible. Any applicable questions not answered may result in a delay in the resolution of your complaint. Please provide as much detail as possible as our decision for further action will be based on the facts as presented in your complaint.
You may also contact the Driver Solutions at 785-296-3671. Please provide the following information to the representative when calling in your complaint:
- Customer name
- Phone number
- Driver’s License number
- Service Center name, address and city
- Interlock Company
Contact information for law enforcement to report any circumvention or tampering please call Lacey Black at 785-368-8533. You may also contact us by email at Lacey.firstname.lastname@example.org
Did You Know?
- It is a class A, nonperson misdemeanor to request or solicit another to blow into an ignition interlock device?
- Tampering, circumventing or rendering an ignition interlock device inoperative is a class A, nonperson misdemeanor?
- Operating a vehicle without your ignition interlock device is a class A, nonperson misdemeanor?
- In addition to any other penalties provided by law:
(1)(A) On a first conviction of a violation of subsection (a)(1) or (a)(2), the division shall extend the ignition interlock restriction period on the person's driving privileges for an additional 90 days.
- (B) on a second or subsequent conviction of a violation of subsection (a)(1) or (a)(2), the division shall restart the original ignition interlock restriction period on the person's driving privileges.
- (2) on a conviction of a violation of subsection (a)(4), the division shall restart the original ignition interlock restriction period on the person's driving privileges.
K.S.A. 8-1017. Circumvention of ignition interlock device; penalty.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Once the key has been put into the vehicle’s ignition, and turned on to provide power to the vehicle, the device will be activated.
- The device will prompt the driver to provide a breath sample.
- The driver will attempt to provide a valid breath sample, by blowing into the device as previously instructed.
- If the resultant breath alcohol concentration (BrAC) analyzed in the breath sample is below the pre-set fail level, which is typically .020 but varies by State, the engine can be started. If the BrAC is at or above the pre-set fail level, the violation will cause the ignition to be disabled and the vehicle will not start. The IID will “Lockout” for a short period of time. Once the “Lockout” period has expired, another breath sample can be provided.
- At random times during vehicle operation, the IID will prompt the driver to provide another breath sample (also referred to as a “Retest”). The purpose of the Retest is to deter someone other than driver, or some other form of altered air, from providing the breath sample. If the breath sample for the retest is failed or missed, the IID will log the event, warn the driver and in some cases start up an alarm (e.g. lights flashing, horn honking, etc.) until the ignition is turned off, or a valid breath sample is provided.
Installation: Once the customer has an IID restriction, an appointment is scheduled with a service center for installation of the IID. At the initial installation, the customer will be trained on how to use the device and the applicable program requirements.
Monitoring: The IID will need be monitored regularly so that the IID data can be uploaded, and the device can be calibrated.
Removal: Once the order has been issued removing the IID restriction, the customer can then schedule a removal appointment.