Titling a New Vehicle
Application for certificate of title and registration must be made through the county treasurer’s office in the county in which the vehicle is garaged. To avoid penalty, vehicle registration must be made within 60 days from the date of purchase.
Required vehicle information to be presented to County Treasurer’s Office:
- Properly signed manufacturer’s statement/certificate of origin (MSO/MCO). If there is more than one owner showing on the MSO/MCO the following number of signatures will be required based on the connection between the names:
- And – All persons listed must sign.
- Or – Either person can sign, only one signature required
- If no connection listed, it will default to “and” and all parties must sign
- Current proof of insurance.
- Sales Tax receipt. If the sales tax was paid to another State and there is a difference, you will be responsible for paying the difference.
- Property tax must be paid at the time of registration unless applying for a temporary plate.
Transfer of License Plate
Required information to be presented to County Treasurer’s Office;
- Required documents as above for a new vehicle.
- Current registration receipt for the vehicle with the license plate you want to transfer. (If not available, you will need the license plate number plus a fee for a duplicate registration.)
- Previous vehicle must be disposed of prior to the new purchase or sold or traded within 60 days after the new purchase.
- Name of buyer and date of sale of previous vehicle.
- Assignment of name on new title must match the name on the previous vehicle registration.