Non-Beverage User License and Permit


There are two types of non-beverage users that may purchase alcohol* or wine**. One requires a permit and the other requires a license.

* "Alcohol" means the product of distillation of any fermented liquid, whether rectified or diluted, whatever its origin, and includes synthetic ethyl alcohol but does not include denatured alcohol or wood alcohol.

**"Wine" means any alcoholic beverage obtained by the normal alcoholic fermentation of the juice of sound, ripe grapes, fruits, berries or other agricultural products, including such beverages containing added alcohol or spirits or containing sugar added for the purpose of correcting natural deficiencies.

Non-Beverage Permit:

The Non-Beverage Permit allows a school, college, hospital, sanatorium, school or other institution caring for the sick to make a one-time purchase of alcohol or wine to be used for scientific, chemical, experimental, mechanical or medicinal purposes.

If you are purchasing alcohol or wine as a manufacturing ingredient, or for any other reason, you must make application for a Non-Beverage User License.

Non-Beverage User License:

A Non-Beverage User means any manufacturer of products containing alcohol or wine in:

  • Patent and proprietary medicines;
  • Medicinal, antiseptic and toilet preparations;
  • Flavoring extracts, syrups and food products;
  • Scientific, industrial and chemical products; or,
  • Scientific, chemical, experimental or mechanical purposes.

A Non-Beverage User includes all laboratories using alcohol for nonbeverage purposes.

The Non-Beverage User License allows the licensee to make multiple purchases of alcohol or wine for specific quantities and use during the term of the license. The license is renewable every two years.

Religious Organizations:

Religious organizations using wine imported solely and exclusively for sacramental purposes are not required to obtain a permit or license nor is the person shipping wine to the religious organization required to be licensed. The container of wine must be clearly labeled "Wine to be used exclusively for sacramental purposes" and must be shipped or consigned to a bona fide priest, pastor, bishop, rabbi, preacher or minister of the gospel.

I Want To:

If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the Licensing Unit at 785-296-7015 (press option #2) or send an email to:

Need Help?

If you have questions or need assistance, visit our Contact Us page to locate your assigned Licensing Representative.

Back to the Alcoholic Beverage Control main page