Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

Semi truck driver

You must have a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of 26,001 pounds or more or a combination vehicle with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds.

CDL information

Reciprocity Agreements with Nebraska, Missouri and Oklahoma

Kansas has entered into reciprocity agreements with Nebraska and Missouri relating to Commercial Driver's License (CDL) requirements and farm use.

Contact Vehicles Regarding Your Commercial Driver's License

Telephone (available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm)


Hearing Impaired TTY



Commercial Driver's License FAQs

  1. A CMV skills test can take from one hour to one and one half hours depending on conditions
  2. To ensure that a CDL examiner is available to administer the test, scheduling is necessary
  3. Skills test and test examiners may be monitored for quality control purposes
  4. CMV Testing schedules vary depending on business conditions. Please call a CDL testing facility in advance to determine test availability.
To comply with Federal Law, a Kansas law was passed which created the "S" endorsement for School Bus drivers.
Assuming you already have the "P" endorsement, you will have to pass an "S" endorsement knowledge test and a road test in a school bus representative of the type of school bus you will be driving. If you don't already have the "P" endorsement, you will have to pass the "P" endorsement knowledge test also.
No. You only need the "S" endorsement to operate school buses, or buses contracted by a school district to transport school children.